Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Oklahoma Earthquake

This morning, around 9:15 a.m., my classroom began shaking and continued for several seconds. Being on the third floor contributed to the swaying effect, I'm sure! It was a 4.5 in Shawnee. Growing up in California, and living in Japan, it was nothing new to me. However, my students had never experienced an earthquake and expressed intense fear. I calmed them down and we finished our lesson without further incidence. God still shows his power in earthquakes and storms. Man can't control them, and can only pray.

My second class was a completely different challenge for me. One of my students insisted on accepting two calls on his cell phone in the middle of my reading and writing class. He knew the rules but thought he didn't have to follow them. (I thought about the teacher who recently took a student's phone and threw it on the floor. I didn't do that.) I looked at this big guy in the eyes and told him that he was welcome to leave and be on the next plane back to his country. I would continue to teach. He became very sorry and promised it would not happen again. I felt that I had established my authority as a woman teacher.

This afternoon, I took Mom with me shopping. She didn't want to stand in line, so she went to customer service and they rang up her purchases. Then, she wanted me to do the same. I told her I didn't mind waiting my turn in line. I had to smile at what she gets away with because she is 87 years old!

No comments: