Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday, March 27, 2009

I just read a friend's blog who is losing his father. I can remember when I was losing my father and how I felt. I was living in Tokyo at the time. Galen called me and told me that I should come home. I boarded a plane on my birthday, January 24th. I arrived the next day and it was my birthday again. More importantly, it was my parents anniversary as well. Dad was lying in bed and my family surrounded him. When Dad saw me, he sat up and sang, "Happy Birthday". We all knew that only the love of God could have given him the strength to do that! There wasn't a dry eye in the room. I will never forget the last thing Dad told me. He took my hand, and said, "God is going to take care of you in Japan, and He will take care of me until we are together again." Later, my parent's neighbors watched my brothers take Dad out of the house and put his lifeless body in the ambulance. They related how they were so impressed by the calm peace of my family. As a result, they began going to church because they wanted that same peace in their lives. It's not anything you can buy, earn, or be educated enough to receive. It's a gift that you choose whether to receive or not. When your heart is changed, everything else changes as well. I am so glad that my friend's father is a Christian. Of course, his family and friends will miss him beyond description, but there is the hope of being together again!

No comments: