Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Home Today

Yesterday, I noticed that I was coughing more. But I was surprised when I started to run a temperature. It is session's end, and I was suppose to test a group of students this morning. Instead, I'm home. I had the usual flu shot, but my doctor didn't think it was necessary to get the H1N1 shot. I think I will be fine if I just take it easy today.

Last night, I was reminded of the brevity of life. My mother's best friend, Shirley, is only 66 years old. She was to have her gall bladder removed yesterday. After a few minutes into the surgery, the doctors found a mass connected to her pancreas. Mom said Shirley took it extremely well. She was her usual vivacious self and is ready to meet God at any time. Shirley's husband died last year from heart failure, and I know that she looks forward to seeing him again.

Last night, Galen called and said he was in Texas. He is moving Jim Murcray's wife to Okla. City. Sondra is driving one of the cars. I prayed for their protection. They should have arrived around midnight. I'm glad they will be here to have dinner with us on New Year's Eve.

Sofia and Selah called to thank us for their Christmas gifts. Sofia got a carousel music box that plays, "Jingle Bells". I love carousels and thought the horses were carved so delicately. I remembered how much Kirk loved music boxes when he was little, so we gave him a large snow globe that plays, "Silent Night". Inside the globe there is a lion and a lamb lying together. When Kirk called on Christmas, he and Tamra had been snowboarding in Big Bear.

Kelli has left for New York City. She will be with her friends at Fox Studios who are covering the dropping of the ball on New Year's Eve. Keri and I wish we could be there with her, and advised her what to wear. We both told her to buy a furry white jacket to wear with her red scarf! We hope that Kelli has a wonderful time because her little dog, Elfie, died on Christmas morning.

In some ways it seems that 2010 has been here for awhile. My 2010 Camry has 7,000 miles on it. I don't know what the new year will hold, but I know who holds my tomorrows, and I'm not afraid or worried at all. I will ask my God to take care of those I love and to put faith and trust in their hearts as well.

No comments: