Sunday, December 13, 2009

More Christmas Stuff

Wow, Galen! I didn't know you could write prose either. Thank you! Maybe it's time to write the music.

Speaking of music, the New Beginnings Church Choir sang, "There's Joy in this Place" this morning. It was written by O.D. Hall (Keri's minister of music at Magnolia Ave. Baptist Church in Riverside). Mom came with her friend, Shirley, and they agreed that it is one of the most beautiful ever written. Everyone was told to wear Christmas colors, but you would have thought we were in uniform because men and women alike wore red tops and black pants. I have never been more nervous about a musical. I usually play the piano and have my back to the audience, but since we have a new sound system and used a CD orchestra, I sang with the choir. I can't say how much I prayed and was extremely careful about what I ate and drank for breakfast! Fortunately, my solo was near the beginning, so once that was finished I could relax and just enjoy singing. After the musical, the church showed their appreciation with gift certificates. I think that Bill and I will be eating at Chili's Restaurant a lot!

After the musical, we talked with several of our students who had come to listen to the concert. David, our kid from Beijing had just returned from Dallas where he bought a new BMW over the weekend. Then, we took some of the boys to Braum's where Mom and Shirley were waiting for us.

Friday was a very long day! I taught my classes in the morning, and then subbed for another teacher in the afternoon. Six students from OCU in Okla. City came to observe all us teaching. All of them are TEFL teachers who plan to go back to their countries and teach English. The best part was that lunch was catered by Chicago Deli. After classes, Bill and I went to MacDonald's and drank a Mocha for an hour. We had a faculty/student Christmas party at 6 PM in Meeker and didn't want to drive all the way home first. Anne opened her home to the 35 of us who attended. Her home is always absolutely gorgeous!!! We all brought dishes to compliment the chicken/noodle cassaroles and sat at three tables. After dinner, we gathered around the tree in the livingroom and played "dirty santa". For many students, it was their first Christmas ever, and I loved watching their faces! We Americans didn't mind stealing each others gifts and our international friends soon caught on. I came away with a Braum's card, and Bill got a box of chocolates and a Christmas stocking.

Saturday, we practiced for the musical all morning and then got chores done in the afternoon. I bought lots of groceries in case of snow and ice in the future. In the evening, we watched Huckabee. He always has the neatest guests! Andy Williams sang, "Moon River" and "Christmas Song". He's in his 80's and you can tell that he's not a spring chicken, but still wonderful! Next week, Huckabee's guests will be the couple who inspired the movie, "The Blindside". What great role models they are for all of us!

No comments: