Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Midweek Activities

I just returned from the post office. I enjoy this season because I get mail from people I love. However, there was one envelope that raised my blood pressure. It was an overdue phone bill for $170.00. I knew that David had called me collect from Texas, but we didn't talk that long! Then I remembered that we have our bills paid automatically, and that shouldn't have happened. Before I called to complain, I looked over the bill and realized that it wasn't our bill. It was for our nextdoor neighbor. Yikes! I took it back to the post office and apologized for opening the envelope.

Classes continue to get more interesting everyday. I mentioned earlier that I have a new student from the Ivory Coast. She's smart and very beautiful! In one of the grammar lessons, pets were mentioned. I asked her if she had any pets in her home country. She answered that her family has several German Shepherds to guard them. In response, I said that our compound was heavily guarded when we lived in Kenya, and wondered if her country was any safer. She said, "no", and added that since her father is in charge of the President's media communications, they have even more security!

I went shopping this afternoon. I bought a "Footprints" plaque for Sun's graduation from OBU this Friday. I also bought a Thomas Kinkade puzzle that shimmers for Ian's birthday on Sunday.

Mom called last night. Roger had called and said that his daughter, Jennifer, has been assigned to Japan next summer by the IMB for 10 weeks. She will be spoiled! Japan is clean, safe, high-tech, and culturally refined. It is still difficult for me to go into Wal-Mart and see all of the "junk" Americans buy. What ever happened to class and quality? Last week, I went to Hartoon's Jeweler to have one of my chains repaired. It needed a new clasp. Before they could fix it, they had to look through a magnifying glass to find the gold marking. After it was found, they told me that it has to be 14 ct. before it can stand the heat of the soldering. If it is not the real thing, they have to use other methods. (Doesn't the Bible say something about faith standing the test of fire?) My chain was fixed, and then I paid $7 for a new tiny clasp.

I have been asked to post more of my poetry. I will do that in my next blog!

No comments: