Monday, December 7, 2009

Weekend Activities

Saturday evening Bill and I attended the Hanging of the Greens at Oklahoma Baptist University. It is their annual Christmas concert and time to honor the outstanding seniors of each department. Raley Chapel holds 1,000 people and was filled. The orchestra, choir and handbells were superb! The theme was Christmas through the years at OBU. My father graduated from OBU and was president of the Minister's Association. Of course, I thought of him while listening to the history. Listening to the 100 voice choir sing, "The Hallelujah Chorus" also flashed me back to Yokohama, Japan. The entire girl's high school where I taught English sang the "Hallelujah Chorus" every year in 3 part harmony. Listening to those 1,000 girls sing at the same time in the school's auditorium sounded like angels.

Sunday, my Bible study class joined the other adult class in the fellowship hall so that the choir could practice in the sanctuary at 9:30 am. We sang one song from our musical during the worship service. As I stood on the stage practicing, I realized how beautiful our church is! The sanctuary is built in the shape of a fan with the focal point being the pulpit and baptistry. The light blue decor looked especially beautiful with the bounty of red pointsettias across the stage.

Jason brought Chie Hey to church to say, "good-bye". She left today to go to Edmond to study at OCU. She has decided to be an English teacher.

Today, I taught 3 classes in the morning. I have two new students. One blond Brazilian boy who is planning to be an environmental engineer. The other is another Saudi student who plans to teach English. I heard that we have a girl from the Ivory Coast arriving Thursday. After classes, I ate a quick lunch and then headed to the University's piano practice rooms to record Christmas music. The tape will be used when our students sing.

It seems that Bill and I have spent the weekend reserving hotels. We're planning to spend Christmas in Springfield and Branson. Then, we'll go with Noel to Big Springs, Texas for New Years to see our brother, David.

No comments: