Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What is "Good"?

I have been on the "same page" as Galen lately. While a senior in high school, I was put in a humanities class with other students bound for college. One of the major concepts that we learned that year was to be aware of semantics - the meaning and use of words. When people do not agree on the meaning of words, there is often misunderstanding and misinformation. I have been thinking about the meaning of the word, "good". If one takes the Biblical meaning out of the word, "good" then it becomes totally man's opinion. I have learned from my encounter with many cultures that people don't agree on what is "good".

During my studies in child developement, I learned that people feel secure when their lives have boundaries. Yes, we test those boundaries and find that many of them were placed there for our protection. Do I always keep The Ten Commandments? No! Why? I am a human who sins. Does God still love me? Yes! Only pride would keep me from admitting that I am often confused and am capable of making a wrong decision. Of course, I want to do right, but I fail miserably. That doesn't make me stupid. It's a great feeling to know that God doesn't expect me to be perfect all of the time, and that He is ready to forgive me. I want my children and grandchildren to know that it's alright to be human. They are loved so very much by God. That we are loved, and not condemned is the single most difficult concept to understand because we don't want to face the fact that we are not perfect. I don't want to be enslaved and captive to my pride. What does it profit a man if he gains the world and loses his soul?

No comments: