Thursday, July 22, 2010

Remembering Jimmy Glasgow

On Tuesday, Mom's sister, Edith, called her. She had found her son, Jimmy (66), dead in his home. So many memories flashed through my mind as I recalled the good times I had with my cousin. My most vivid memory was when I was 14 years old. I was invited to go with my Uncle Jim's church (Osage Hills Baptist in Tulsa) to Falls Creek Baptist Assembly for youth week. My uncle's church owned a cabin there and about 20 of us went. Jimmy drove me down in his Ford convertible along with Priscilla (his girlfriend), and Joe, his brother who was my age. Being from California, I didn't know anyone, and they took wonderful care of me!! That week was more important to me than I would ever know. During one of the evening services, the Spirit of God touched my heart. I had been baptized when I was 6 years old, but knew that I had not really understood my sin. Every evening, the camp would re-play the music we had sung in the services during lights-out. That night I listened to "Victory in Jesus". I wanted to make sure that I had that victory in my life. The next day I talked to my Aunt Edith about my concerns. It was there that I made my peace with God. I have never forgotten that. Satan worked on me several times and tried to take away my faith, but somehow God used people who loved me to stand in the gap and hang onto me! When I was 28 years old, I asked my dad to re-baptize me. I wanted my baptism to mean something! I look forward to seeing Jimmy in heaven one day. I want to hear him greet me with his Okie drawl. He was so popular and full of life! Just thinking about him makes me smile.

No comments: