Sunday, July 11, 2010

Weekend Activities

Saturday morning, I scrambled eggs and microvaved bacon for breakfast. We had eaten cereal the rest of the week so I didn't feel guilty. My friend, Sandra, had brought us a bag of fresh peaches from her in-laws' farm in Stratford, Oklahoma. They were so sweet and juicy!

I still wasn't feeling real perky, so I went into the livingroom, sank into the lazyboy sofa again, and slept. Around 4 p.m. Bill decided he wanted to see, "Robinhood" at the Hornbeck Theater where the movies are $1.50 per person. It was a nice distraction. The plot is about how Robinhood became the legend that he is. The government had taxed the people to death and otherwise good people were becoming outlaws. I don't think it will win any academy awards, but the scenery is beautiful and Russell Crowe is a good actor.

Before going to bed, I took some new Sudefed tabs that we picked up at Walgreens. Bill happened to notice that the ones I had taken had expired in 2003. No wonder I felt rotten! Lesson learned! This morning, I felt like I had risen from the dead!! My head was clear. I had no pressure inside my ear. I felt 10 years younger and was ready to teach my Bible Study class.

My class had a summer slump today. I had 11 members present. The lesson was on the gifts of the Spirit. Every true Christian receives these gifts at the time they become a believer. The members enjoyed telling each other what gifts they felt the others exhibited. I learned from this study that some have the gift of faith which differs from the faith needed for salvation. (I Corinthians 12:9) Suzanne Brown is in her thirties and has an extraordinary relationship with Jesus. She shared that she has been mocked for her strong faith. Those people are probably jealous because she is so beautiful, plays the sax, is great with horses, and has a great Christian husband.

After Bible Study, I talked to my friend Lisa who has just been diagnosed with cancer. She was smiling and thanked me for my prayers. Her doctor said that the cancer was contained, she would not need chemo, just surgery. Yeah God!!

Pastor Larry baptized another lady at the beginning of the service. He reported that he has baptized 20 adults this year. During the invitation we sang, "I Surrender All". I was thinking about the times that I had not been able to sing that song and mean it. Then, I saw Cole walking down the aisle. Cole is a very handsome 18 year old athlete, the grandson of Linda, who attends my Bible Study class. Cole was alone and made his decision without consulting anyone. He told the congregation that everyone has a god, and he was choosing to make Jesus Christ his God. Wow! I can only imagine what kind of leader that kid is going to be in the very near future.

No comments: