Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fall Days Have Arrived

The temperature is gradually getting cooler and rain is expected this weekend. I love summer, but I'm ready for the change of seasons. I am teaching part-time, but my schedule has stayed busy. On Monday afternoon, I took one of the Key Lime pies I made to my friend, Lorna. She received a kidney transplant from a young donor who was killed in a car accident. Lorna is so humbled by this event. She told me that she had read in her Bible that "to whom much is given, much is required" and she wonders what that will be. Lorna doesn't need to worry, she already gives so generously to everyone she meets! I also learned that because the two kidneys she has are still functioning at 20%, the doctor did not remove them in case her body rejects the new kidney. The third kidney was placed in the front part of her abdomen.

I was asked to substitute on Tuesday afternoon. Those young men are crazy! During class, one of the student's cell phones rang. The student sitting next to him began to tell him off because phones are to be turned off during class. Suddenly, the student who was berating his friend heard his own phone ringing and everyone started laughing. When he looked at the ID, he noticed that a student across the room had called him so that it would ring! I admit that it was pretty funny, and I had to laugh as well. Another incident happened before class began. One young man showed his excitement that I was subbing. When he put his face next to mine, I covered my mouth because I thought he was going to kiss me! He started laughing and said, "No, teacher, watch!" He went to the other men in the class, touched their foreheads lightly and kissed the air. Apparently, that's what they do to their mothers! So, I relaxed and let him touch my forehead. I learned something yesterday, and received the honor graciously.

Afterschool, I drove to Mom's to take her some lotion and some cheese crackers. When I arrived, she was baking cupcakes and my Uncle Johnny had come directly from the clinic to report on his condition. He will have coratid artery surgery next week. He has a 50/50 chance of survival and wanted to talk about his wishes. He told his docotor that he believed that God planned his birth and his death, so he should not take it personal if the surgery does not go well. That made me smile.

I thought that my geranium plants were finished blooming for the summer because they were dormant for about a month. I was wrong. They are beautiful once again and I am still learning lessons in being patient. The tomato plants were wonderful this year. I harvested at least 4 dozen or more.

Fall is here, and I'm excited about the holiday season. I feel sad when my mailbox is empty, so I look forward to seeing the colored cards again.

No comments: