Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day at the Hospital

I picked Mom up at 7:00 a.m. to reach Unity Hospital and see Uncle Johnie before he went in for carotid artery surgery. Bill met us there in his car. One of the ladies from my church was at the information desk and directed us to the prep rooms. My cousin, Joe Glasgow and Gerald Belts (my uncle's neighbor of 31 years) were with him when we arrived. We prayed with him and kissed him before they wheeled him away. We all had breakfast in the Unity Cafe before Bill left for school. On the way out, Bill and I went by Pastor Larry's office. He is hospital chaplain. He was surprised to see us!

While sitting together in the surgery waiting room, I became aquainted with "little" Joe. I had been best friends with his father, Joe, when we were kids. Joe and I were both born in 1948 and enjoyed playing together at family reunions. I also spent a week with him at Falls Creek when we were 14 years old. Joe grew up to be an electrician but died several years ago. I miss him! His son, Joe, shoes horses all over the county. He's as sweet as his Dad was and has the same Oklahoma drawl. Before leaving the hospital, Joe told us that Uncle Johnie said he does not want Taps played at his funeral. He wants Revellie (sp?) because he doesn't intend to sleep. He will be ready to wake up!!

Dr. Weins came in two hours later and told us that Uncle Johnie was doing extremely well. Dr. Weins remembered doing Mom's surgery and sat down to talk. He is a Christian who attends Immanuel Baptist Church and has been on several mission trips. While looking at this young, handsome doctor, I was thinking about Bill Maher's comments on TV last night. He said, "Christians are lunatics, and that we are all selfish and belong in mental hospitals." What a loving, tolerant statement to make when people don't agree with your progressive ideas.

When my uncle recovered, the nurses asked me and Mom to stick around so that we could answer any questions they needed. We were glad to do so, and Uncle Johnie seemed so glad to see us. When he fell asleep, we left and I arrived home about 3:30 p.m. I'll take Mom back to the hospital tonight. Bill is teaching another on-line class, so he won't be able to go back.

No comments: