Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Silver Dollar City and a Ruckus in Tecumseh

After classes this afternoon, Chinami and I drove to the post office to check the mail. There must have been at least 15-20 police cars parked across the street! I asked a lady if she had any idea what was going on. She informed me of the robberies in 3 towns and the shoot out in our local pharmacy. She informed me that one suspect was in custody and another was on the run. I turned on the news when we returned home, and learned that the other suspect had been apprehended on Hwy 9 near Thunderbird Lake. So much for quiet little Tecumseh. Between tornadoes and shoot-outs, it's becoming very exciting!

Bill, Chinami and I picked up Gramma on Saturday morning and drove to Springfield. We arrived just in time for homemade tacos and ice cream with fresh strawberries with Noel and Janice. After lunch, we all sat around their dining table and had another visit with Galen, Sondra and David via the computer. They all looked great! About 3:00 p.m. we left Gramma with Noel and Janice and headed to Branson. We stayed at the Ramada Inn where the Oklahoma Pontiac Club was holding their convention. Beautiful antique cars! After finding our rooms and unpacking the car, we headed for Silver Dollar City for the 50th Anniversary Gospel Sing. We found seats early in Echo Hollow which holds over 4,000 and was packed!! Chinami enjoyed her first funnel cake while enjoying Jeff and Sherry Easter and family. Their four year old daughter sat on the drummer's lap and played the drumset for one of the numbers. She was really good!!

On Sunday, we went back to Silver Dollar City and listened to Sons of Silver Dollar City. They were singing one of my favorite song, "Jesus Didn't Throw the Clay Away". I was talked into riding on the Flying Swings. I closed my eyes and felt the wind on my face when I started to feel a little dizzy. Ha! Chinami wanted to ride the Galleon, and I opted out of that one. While there, we went to the Saloon Show which was hilarious, and listened to the Kelly's. They were so good that we bought a CD. They are brothers and a sister who play the guitar, mandolin, banjo, bass, and violin. The harmony is great! Chinami listens to it over and over because she loves their version of "Revive Us Again". The Kellys also play several Irish numbers. Sometimes I feel like I must be in Ireland because St. Gregory's plays all of the most famous Irish songs every Tuesday and Wednesday. Other days, the college chimes play numbers from the old musicales.

Yesterday, we drove back to Springfield to have breakfast with the family at Ziggies. Steve has informed me that round abouts in Missouri are called divergent diamonds. I still think they are dangerous, and we are all trying to figure out how they will work when snow comes.

We are still very concerned about Noel's health, and pray for him to find comfort and help. His cheerful disposition and peaceful spirit can only be a result of his strong faith. Noel, you are a wonderful role model for us all. As I heard a fellow say just today, "Those who don't believe in God, will do so someday and it may be too late." It made me sad to think that there are those who are missing so much peace and happiness. Chinami prayed in English for the first time this week at dinner. It was straight from the heart - nothing memorized. So pure and beautiful!

No comments: