Sunday, September 19, 2010

Ok State Fair/Disney on Ice

I posted a picture below of Mom and myself in front of the Oklahoma State Fair Arena in OKC. I didn't know if Mom would be up to it, but she was very excited and took her walker that has a seat. Actually, she loves ice skating and wasn't going to miss Disney on Ice. Bill and I had seen Disney on Ice in Tokyo, but it seemed very different in English! We arrived at the fairgrounds around 11 am and found parking easily with the handicap plaque. I had called for tickets and had them waiting for us. Once inside the fairgrounds, we found a table under a tree and enjoyed Dan's Indian Tacos. After lunch, we wandered to the merry-go-round. After buying tickets to ride, we learned that adults can't ride, and there are no refunds! So, we deicded to use the tickets to play a game. We learned that games are $5 cash - no tickets! The game operator commiserated with us and shot the breeze for about 10 minutes. He is an American who runs a guesthouse in Jamaica during the winter, and works for the fair during the summer. I finally decided to give our carousel tickets to some little girls who smiled and thanked us.

From there, we went to the auto show which was in a large air-conditioned building. The three corporations showing were GM, Ford and Toyota. The big SUVs are $50,000. They don't tempt me, but the Mustang was a little beauty at $36,000. Of course, it is 6 cylinder and is still very sporty. Maybe when I grow up, I'll get one! Mom loved the air-conditioning, so Bill and I left her to look at blue ribbon draft horses. While wandering around the bulding, we observed two OU vets spaying a dog. They were performing the operation on a platform that was enclosed by glass and there were TV monitors showing each step. They were taking out an ovary when we stopped to watch.

After watching the operation, it was time to get Mom who was having a great time talking to people at the Auto Show, and go to the arena for the ice show. Her biggest splurge was buying popcorn in a Disney bucket for $10. We couldn't find sugarfree ice cream, so Bill promised to stop at Braum's on the way home. We did, and she got a double dip cone. It was so much fun watching her enjoy herself!! We all bought ice cream to take home.

This morning, one of our Saudi students went to church with us at his request. To be honest, I was shocked that he actually went. He seemed to enjoy himself, and I know that he was surprised to see everyone being so friendly and hugging each other. He also loved the drums, guitars and piano. Bill and I have been asked to play a special on the third Sunday of each month, and this was it. Bill played, "Jesus, Your Name Is Power" and "He Is Able" on his recorder. The people going to Bulgaria this week gave a presentation. Each year, several of our members take medicine and school supplies to the gypsy children. Our church also feeds the children of Shawnee in the park on Saturdays. It breaks your heart to see how parents misuse their money and don't feed their kids!

Last week, I was experiencing pain in my right leg. It hurt so much that I couldn't find a comfortable position to sleep. I took Tylenol and started praying. I had no idea what was causing it and couldn't think of anything that I had done differently. After one week of suffering, the pain has vanished completely. Last night, I was thanking God for my healing and can't believe that I enjoyed a day at the State Fair. The pain may return, but I learned long ago, that everything is easier when God sends His angels to minister to me! Am I a wimp? I guess so, because I hate pain.

No comments: