Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sunday Afternoon

It's a jeans and sweatshirt afternoon. It's 68 degrees! Yesterday, I made cinnamon rolls, and we enjoyed our breakfast on the screened patio which reminds us that the weather can change back and forth during the fall months. It's great to turn off the AC for awhile.

Last Friday, Noel called and chatted with me about new landline phones. I ordered the same ones that he and Janice have. I want the (free) third phone for the family room because I can't remember to carry my cell phone with me around the house. And, I don't run as fast as I use to. Smile. Then, on Saturday, Noel did some research for me and checked on the best humidifiers for winter. Our old one gave up the ghost! I'm glad he subscribes to Consumer Reports and knows so much about electronics.

Last night, David called. After being apart for years, it's so cool to be able to just chat! He had been to a rodeo in California with Galen's family. The announcer told lots of jokes, so he passed this one on to me: The woman downhill skiier who won gold medals at the last winter Olmpics had to give her awards to Obama. Why? Because no one could go downhill as fast as he can! As far as politics go, I don't trust the Democrats or the Republicans. Too much government always becomes corrupt. History shows us that everywhere! Kirk still sees it in Haiti.

There were two new visitors in my Bible Study this morning - a lady, and a young college student who wanted to attend with his parents. We discussed the fact that God is not only our creator, but desires to be intimately involved in our lives. I listened to an interview this week with Captain Scott Smiley, who has just written a book entitled, "Hope Unseen". He had been a man of faith until he lost his eyesight. His wife (who is gorgeous) and friends prayed for him without ceasing. He realized that without faith in God and the people around him, he could never lead a quality life again. Since then, he has learned to surf solo, and to jump out of airplanes. He is also the first blind person to be kept on active military duty with serious responsibilities. God is so good at making lemonade out of lemons. We have to quit thinking of ourselves as "victims" and begin to look for the victory! God makes us accountable, and that is a good thing! We all run from God at times. When we stop, He wraps His arms around us in love and all the bitter pain inside us subsides.

No comments: