Friday, June 12, 2009

Friday, June 12, 2009

I am becoming a "geezer" for sure. After cooking breakfast and cleaning up, I puttered in the backyard and enjoyed the cool morning air. I propped up two of the tomato plants that had been battered by the last storm and picked up twigs that had broken off of the two oak trees.

Everyday, I'm learning something new from my students. The Saudi men are not used to seeing women who are not covered, so they naturally observe what I'm wearing. Two of them make a habit of complimenting my clothes. I was feeling a little uncomfortable because there is a beautiful Saudi woman in my class, as well. I pointed out the lovely blue scarf on her head and told her I loved the color. At that point, everyone's eyes went to the floor. So--- I began asking questions. They confirmed what I had begun to suspect ---men would never admire, or compliment a lady openly in their country. After class, Ibrahim asked if he could take a picture with me. I knew that they don't take pictures of women, so I asked if he was sure it would be okay. He said it was fine because I am his "American mother".

One of the grammar lessons talked about family trees and origins. A student asked me what my father's name was. ( Women in Saudi Arabia don't change their names.) When I said, "Greenwalt" he immediately asked if that was German. I said, "Yes, my father's family was German Jew. However, he was a Christian. Everyone looked at me!!! A minute went by, and then they all smiled, and said,"Teacher, it's okay. We like you!" Most of them have been in my home and know that I like them!

After class yesterday, Bill and I went to the Shawnee Mall to finish his Brazil shopping. After going to several stores, we felt wiped out and decided to get salads at the Cattle Co. because it was convenient. If you are looking for a romantic restaurant, I would not suggest that one. It has peanut shells everywhere, and plays loud cowboy music. However, the food is great!

No comments: