Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 Continued

Mixed Feelings About HealthCare Reform

Having lived in Japan for 10 years and experiencing socialized medicine, I have very mixed feelings about America changing healthcare policies too quickly without thinking it through completely. In spite of Japan being a first-world nation, the health-care suffered. Yes, everyone had access, but everyone could not enjoy care as we know it in the USA.

My first year in Tokyo, was during the "bubble" economy. In March, I became ill with the stomach flu. I became dehydrated and was admitted to the hospital. I was given a private room for $30 a day. The room was bare except for a bed, a table, and a small refrigerator. We ignorant Americans didn't know I needed a gown and an extra sheet. I also learned very quickly that I was to share a bathroom on the hallway where they kept the washer and dryer for families to wash. Bill didn't know to bring me food, so the first morning that I was able to eat anything at all, a nurse brought me a plate that contained a whole fish, some rice and a salad. I thought I was going to get sick all over again! Fortunately, some "angels" from our church showed up with pudding, jello and yogurt.

Every year, mobile units come to the schools and give the teachers and students exams. I received a letter telling me to come to the hospital because I had a gall stone. The only problem was that I had my gall bladder removed 5 years previously in Miami. Some radiology student had mistaken the empty space for a stone. Duh??

Bill was diagnosed with a hernia and was scheduled for surgery at a local hospital in Tokyo. Since we were planning to come home in the summer, he opted to have the surgery in the States. The American doctor told Bill that he only had a pulled muscle from carrying luggage and needed no surgery at all! That was 13 years ago. Yes, healthcare in Japan is cheap, but so is the medical training. Our friend, Dr. Akashi, sent his son to Dartmouth for medical school and told us repeatedly that America has the best healthcare system in the world! Bill presently pays $585 a month for Blue Cross/Blue Shield. He was able to get a routine colonoscopy which revealed cancer and must have saved his life. For those who cannot afford insurance, they should most certainly have Sooner Care or some other form of government assisted program. Everyone should have healthcare. That is a given. However, we must be extremely careful not to find ourselves in a social system which resembles Canada, England, or Japan.

1 comment:

Dan Nerren said...

While our nation tries to decide whether and how to reform health care, 18,000 people in our country die each year unnecessarily because they lack affordable health coverage. (Sojourners)