Monday, June 22, 2009

Reflections of Solitude

Like San Diego and other port cities, Yokohama is built on the sides of mountains. From the balcony of my apartment, one could look across valleys and see the ocean. Every morning I would walk down the 50 steps to catch the city bus to go to school. The bus would wind its way up the next hillside for the next 30 minutes. (The bus was easier than taking the subway and walking UP the 103 steps to the highschool!) As the Japanese culture dictates, the clean modern bus was always as quiet as a cathedral. I learned to appreciate the solitude and found myself reflecting and talking to God about the day ahead. It was on one such occasion that I watched a young college student board the bus. Being January, he was wearing a black trenchcoat and Hush Puppy shoes. I had a flashback to a friend I had during college days which gave me an uneasy feeling. This feeling continued during morning chapel and I spoke to my friend, Chie, about my experience. She shared my concern and promised to pray. A year later I was to learn that my friend was recovering from a brain tumor surgery which took place that January. I also learned that Satan had managed to snatch away any faith in God that he had.

Yesterday, Sunday morning, I awoke at 6:00 a.m. I love the cool mornings, and took my breakfast of Honey Nut Cheerios out to the patio. As I sat alone in the quiet and felt a gentle breeze on my face, I began to imagine what the world would be like if all true followers of Christ were suddenly taken out. Christians are merely imperfect people who have asked for forgiveness. But -- I also know that the Spirit of God constantly reminds us of our selfishness and gently coaxes us to do what is right in the sight of God. Without Christians, the only people left in this world would be hopeless creatures trying to find their way through life without a compass. There would be no sense of power outside themselves, no guidelines and no purpose. In one word, no inner peace! The men left would be in a depressed state, searching for fulfillment and happiness until their lives ended. God's "super" put together with man's "natural" gives Christians the ability to have supernatural love and forgiveness toward others. That's what makes the world so wonderful!

1 comment:

Pastor Galen said...

It is fun reading your blog and keeping up with your happenings. I am thoroughly enjoying putting my thoughts down every so often, as well as sharing what our family is doing. Love you lots.