Tuesday, June 30, 2009

PowWow Weekend

I feel like I am just now floating back down to earth because so much has happened in such a short time! Friday, I drove to school thinking that Pete was going to pick Bill up at the church while I was teaching. Bill called at lunch and said that the team had been divided into different flights in Atlanta. I would have to get him at the OKC airport, along with Diane Witten. After getting Sandra (admissions dir.) to cover my classes, I made the trip. I was so glad I had driven the Camry so that all of the luggage for two people would fit.

By 7:00 p.m., Friday, Kelli called. I gave her directions to Gliori's Italian Restaurant, and we all enjoyed spaghetti and homemade breadsticks. Caleb is 13 years old. His voice is changing, and he loves tennis!! Hannah will be 12 yrs. in August. and had her braces removed this year. She is pretty like her mother, and sings in children's theater.

Saturday morning, Kelli took the kids to the Culture Center to register while Bill and I went to the church for choir practice. In the afternoon, I left Bill at home to sleep, and I visited with family at the PowWow grounds. Family came from everywhere! I met some people who said their great grandfather was my great grandfather's brother! They were from North Carolina. There were 60 people who were descendents of my grandfather.

Saturday evening, the Bergeron family ate together and then gathered for the dance. Being one of the honored families, we danced twice. My ninety year old Uncle John and my 87 year old Aunt Edith joined us. Cousin George joined the costume dance contest, and won third place.

Sunday morning, 18 of my family joined us in church. They were from Arkansas, Illinois, Michigan, Oklahoma, and California. Everyone thought the music was inspirational. The choir made me feel goosebumps because they sang from their hearts. We did, "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and "Peace Like A River". Bill arranged them with trumpet, guitar, piano and drums. After church, we all ate together at Golden Corral.

Galen and Sondra came over Sunday evening to chat and share pictures. They had not seen Kelli for a long time. Galen also shared emails and phone calls he had received from friends.
Galen and Sondra will be driving to Tenn. and Boston, Mass. when they leave here. Sondra is enjoying her retirement!

Noel has arrived at Mayo Clinic, and we are all praying for his doctors!

I have to go to class now, and will write more later.

No comments: