Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mom's Hospital Experience in Germany

As I read and flip between news channels to listen to the debate on healthcare reform in America, it seems that Americans "want their cake and eat it too". It seems that many Americans think that they can get a single pay system without any sacrifice.

My father pastored an English speaking international church near Stuttgart for 6 years. My parents were in the German healthcare system as well as maintaining their New York Life Health Insurance. During their last year, Mom had a burst appendicts which kept her in the German hospital for several weeks. There was a shortage of doctors which meant that the caregivers had very little time for each patient. They were always in a hurry. There were no TVs, and most patients were in wards, not rooms. One of my mother's friends brought a carton of ice cream to the hospital. There was no refrigerator available to the patients, so the remainder was given to the nurses. As soon as Mom regained her health, Dad headed back to the United States where he pastored until he died.

While in Tokyo, Japan, I had a colonoscopy at a local hospital. Like my parents, Bill and I were in the national healthcare system while maintaining our Stateside insurance. Upon arriving at the hospital I was put in a room with 7 other women who were there for various reasons. (The lady across from me was so serious that I kept watching her to see if she was still alive.) When I had to go to the toilet, I had to go down the hall while pulling my IV with me. After the procedure was finished, I was released to go home. I had planned to have a nurse call a taxi. (After all, I had ridden my bike to the doctor when I had the flu.) I was shocked when I was told to use a pay phone and call the taxi myself! I was still lightheaded and wanted to just sit down and cry. I started to pray-----and just then a taxi drove up to the door of the hospital with another patient! The driver said that he was free to take me to my apartment. Thank you, Lord! I am so thankful to be back in the United States where the culture is Christian and the patient is spoiled. Americans who have not traveled extensively have no idea what they are asking for!!!!!

No comments: