Monday, August 31, 2009

Relaxing Weekend

Saturday, I baked cinnamon rolls and served them with scrambled eggs and fresh strawberries for breakfast. Later in the morning, Kelli called. She was driving the kids to the cottage in Manistee for the last time before school starts in Michigan. They had their tennis rackets and board games packed due to the weather being too cold for water sports.

In the afternoon, Bill and I went to the Hornbeck ($1.50 movies) and watched, "My Sister's Keeper". The plot centered around a genetically engineered baby who was born to be a donor for her sister's leukemia. I was reminded of my brother's death from cancer, and I compared my family's reaction in contrast to the movie family who had no faith.

Bible Study Class continues to grow and become more and more interesting. Seventeen of the 20 members attended on Sunday. I have mentioned Pete in my blog before. He became a Christian 3 years ago when he was 60 years old. Yesterday, he shared that he had turned to God when he realized that he could repair jet engines at Tinker AFB, but no one could fix his 55 yr. old wife! Due to kidney failure, she was going to die. That was 3 years ago and Lorna is still with us. Pete shared that he had matured spiritually and had come to the point that he would serve God even if Lorna died. Soon after he made that decision, word came from the doctor that Lorna is in line for a transplant and to be ready at any moment. We were all reminded that God reveals Himself to us on His terms. We must be broken and humble. If being useful in this life depended on intelligence or physical strength, I would certainly be left out.

Last night, we enjoyed grilled chicken fajitas and cheesecake at Ian and Phyllis' home. Their beautiful log home sits on 245 acres of forested land. After dinner, Phyllis and I took a walk while Bill and Ian built a fire in a stone pit just a few yards from the veranda. While we sat and talked around the fire, the sun went down and we could see the moon and stars. Ian played his mandolin and sang a song he had just learned - "Mr. Bojangles". Our world is full of problems, but for that moment I could feel God wrap his peace all around me. It was so relaxing to be with Christian friends. Why wouldn't I want that for all of the people that I love?

No comments: