Monday, September 28, 2009

Beautiful Weekend

It is Indian summer, and the weather couldn't be nicer! I have to admit that my weekend started off a bit nuts, but it kept getting better! Saturday morning, I took my mother to FireLake Grocery to cash in on a Dollar Sale. I needed to get ice cream for the students coming over in the afternoon. I wasn't prepared for the crowd! I haven't seen traffic like that since I was Christmas shopping in California. Again, I wasn't prepared for the VERY long lines! I thought that perhaps I had made a mistake in going, but everyone was so polite and everything moved quickly. After going through the express lane, I was met by Mom who told me that she was $7 short. I paid her bill and then loaded the groceries. Upon arrival at her apartment, Mom insisted that I use her walker to load the Dr. Pepper case. While pushing the walker, I hit a crack in the sidewalk which sent the cans rolling in all directions! I kept my cool, reloaded the DPs and carried them into her house. I practically ran to my car so that I could get my own ice cream home before it melted. Bill was on his way to pick up the college kids, but helped me bring in the "stuff" before leaving. It was one of those moments when I wanted to serve others, and it seemed that everything was backfiring on me.

We took the kids to Gliori's Restaurant and the whole world seemed to brighten. Ian and Phyllis are the type of people who make everyone around them feel special. We pigged out on the hot breadsticks brushed with galic butter. I tried Ian's fresh Italian creamy dressing on my salad. Yes, I have to watch my diet this week! After lunch, Bill took the students to the tennis courts behind our house and they all played. David wasn't feeling well, so I sat with him on our patio. His father has several oil companies in and around Beijing. We talked about the Chinese government, about his parents paying a $7,000 fine so that they could keep his little sister, and why they have sent him to America to study. When the others finished playing, I served banana splits and a variety of drinks around the patio table. We sat and talked until it was time to take them back.

The Bible Study group on Sunday continues to grow. I really think it is because the lessons challenge us and we spend so much time laughing. I changed the Supper Six groups for October. One group had stayed out on Saturday night until 11 p.m. grilling hamburgers and hotdogs on a farm. Sounded fun! Our lesson this week focused on the fact that to follow Christ means: 1. Self-denial 2. Serving others 3. Prepare for suffering At the end of the discussion, we all had to answer the question, "Is it worth it to follow Christ?" Faces lit up all around the room! Without exception, people said that they had gained far more than they had given up. Life on earth is very short, and we know that as Christians, we are assured of a big party in heaven. Everyone is invited. But, yes, it does require faith in Jesus Christ! I wish that I could ticket those I love into the party, but I can't.

Happy 40th Birthday, Keri! You are still so beautiful! I have heard many people say that when you walk into a room, the whole place lights up! I'm so blessed to have children of faith. You have allowed God to make your life different from the rest of the world, and wow! do you ever shine!

No comments: