Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Message to My Grandchildren

Dear Caleb, Hannah, Selah, Sofia and Kyle,

You are growing up in a world that mocks faith. You will have teachers and friends who speak against God and the Bible. Remember, the opposite of faith is fear. Faith requires action, and fear will paralyze you from becoming everything that God intends you to be. We use faith everyday. I vividly remember the first time I flew on a 747 jet. I wondered how the plane could move, let alone get off the ground. I was apprehensive to say the least! After experiencing many flights, I ate my dinner, watched a movie and then went to sleep for 8 hours. I still don't really care how the plane works! I just want results!

I learned a lesson about faith when I lived in Kenya. Bill and I loved the movie, "Born Free" and wanted to visit the home where Elsa, the lion was raised. As a side trip, our driver stopped at Hell's Canyon for a short hike. I followed the Masai guide very closely. At one point there was a steep drop. We had to slide on the rocks and then jump down about 3 feet. No problem! When I landed, I realized that I was on a narrow ledge. Below me was another 7 foot drop with a river flowing through the canyon. Now what?? The guide began to crawl along the wall of the canyon until he reached a path on the other side. I was supposed to do that!! I was paralyzed with fear. I just knew that I would fall and a helicopter would have to pull out my dead body! I watched Bill make it across safely, and then it was "do or die". I prayed as I listened very carefully to everything the guide told me to do. I had to trust this guy completely! My face was toward the wall of the canyon so I could not see. I held on to the jutting rocks and put out my foot. I felt with my feet until I found the crevices, and then continued sideways ever so slowly. At last I was on flat ground again. The view was absolutely breathtaking! I would have missed it if I had not stepped out in faith and let fear dictate. Having faith gives you the courage to DO things that might otherwise seem impossible. Yes, faith requires action. In every case, Jesus asked the people in the Bible to show their faith.

Don't decide whether faith in God really works by watching and listening to other people. If you rely on your pastor, SS teacher, or Christians in general you will be very disappointed. No one but Jesus is perfect. That's the whole point! We all sin and need to be forgiven. The church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints. Knowing how rotten we are helps us to be humble and not judge others. Continue to love your friends who have not experienced God.

1 comment:

Kevin and Keri Sheckler said...

This is a treasure of words for our children. These words are actually love. Thanks for loving them so much you want them to understand faith in Jesus Christ.
Thanks, mom.