Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Crazy Adventure in Big Spring, Texas

Mom, Galen, Sondra and I arrived back in Tecumseh at 11:15 p.m. last night. They all said that they would pray for me today. Their prayers were answered! I was able to teach all 5 classes and enjoy them. I took my car, and Galen and I took turns driving to Abilene on Sunday after we had both taught Bible Study classes. I was excited because Lori and Chuck Edwards joined my class for the first time. (Chuck's father was a surgeon in Columbia for 30 years as a missioanry.) There were 14 in my class in spite of the holiday weekend!

We arrived in Abilene about 7 p.m. and checked in at the Marriott Courtyard Hotel. Nice! We ate at Lytle's Steakhouse about 10 minutes away. The next morning we left Abilene at 5:30 a.m. and drove to Big Spring. That was the beginning of the craziest hour! At the time, we felt frustrated, but laughed and laughed about our adventure on our way back to Oklahoma! While standing in line and waiting for the prison visitors doors to open, I began talking to an attractive Hispanic lady. She told me that Sondra and I couldn't wear open toe shoes, and Galen couldn't wear his shorts. I had read all of the website instructions and was shocked! We left Mom to go on through security, while the three of us took off for Wal-Mart. Sondra and I found some cheap white slip-on canvas shoes, but Galen had trouble finding pants to fit. At last, he found some farmer Joe bib overalls. I just rolled with laughter and said that David would find it hilarious!! When we tried to go through security again, I was told that the buttons on my blouse, and the underwires in my bra were setting off the buzzers. Galen was told that the buttons on the bib overalls were setting off buzzers!!! Sondra went with me into the lady's room to change blouses and cut the wires out of our bras with a staple remover that we were given. Huh?? Galen took off in the car to find another store. I gave up on the stapel remover and just wrapped my bra in the blouse I had just changed. Sondra and I finally walked through security. I hadn't seen David for a year and a half. His face lit up and I got the biggest hug and kiss! While visiting, I began to worry about Galen and Sondra and I began to pray for him. About 15 minutes later, Galen walked through the door in the nicest shirt and pants! He told us about driving through town and spotting a Salvation Army store. He found the pants immediately and paid $5 for them!

David looked great! He is 6' 1"" tall and weighs 210 lbs. He talked about his job as a cook before being assigned to education. He is now teaching GED classes. He told us about the 3 hour riot in his dorm. David is fluent in Spanish, so he knew it was coming. He didn't want any part of it since he is up for parole. He related how God intervened at a time when he thought he was going to be drug into the gang war. Actually, he is left alone because he is respected for his crime. Strange! We always have such a good time with David, that we hated to leave. His faith is strong and he has not lost a bit of his sense of humor.

We left Big Springs and drove back through Ft. Worth. We stopped to gas up and found an IHOP Restaurant. While there, Sondra and I both ordered senior meals. We didn't realize it until we got our bills that we would get 1 free meal for each of the seniors.

The trip was great! We had very little traffic and wore ourselves out with conversation and laughter. We realized that a free spirit is more important than any circumstance or situation. We were inspired by David's faith and confidence. Now that his release has become a matter of congressional inquery, maybe he will be home soon. Noel has asked me to help him drive to see David at the end of the month. I'm looking forward to another adventure!

No comments: