Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine Weekend

Wow! So much has happened this weekend, that my mind is in a spin! Last Friday, our school had a Valentine party after school. The students were given art supplies to make valentines while they munched on valentine goodies. I only stayed for a short while and then I rushed home to get ready for our all-church Valentine dinner. When I reached home, the telephone was beeping to let me know there was a message. It was from Kirk and Tamra. It read a string of numbers and then said, "Made it to the border. Let everyone know." I called Keri and she told me the following story. Kirk got a message that their Friday flight had been cancelled to Atlanta due to the impending storms. Kirk drove to the Ontario Airport and talked to an agent directly. He was told that a flight was leaving in exactly one hour, and they could be on that flight. Kirk speeded home, and got the luggage. He and Tamra made the flight with God's help!

Keri had been to Cal Baptist University to help train Special Project volunteers and had just returned to Chicago. She said that the girls had received their valentines and that Sofia could read hers this year. She shouted, "Mom, Gramma loves me!"

The church dinner was fantastic! The catered Italian dinner couldn't have been better. Following the dinner, we enjoyed a concert. Our youth director imitated Lawrence Welk perfectly and had us rolling with laughter. With the help of our Praise Team, we sang several Beatles songs and the theme song from Archie Bunker. We also sang, "All the Gold in California". There were about 175 of us who really got into the moment and thought we had gone back to our teenage years!

Saturday, Bill and I drove both cars to the Toyota dealer in Norman for servicing. They took 4 hours (literally) to look over the '10 Camry. It has no problems that could be observed. Bill was told that his '03 Corolla was in perfect shape. Both cars got free oil changes and a wash. We left without paying one penny.

This morning, we woke up to another beautiful snowstorm. By the time church was finished, it was melted and the sun was out! Bible Study attendance was about half, but the building was full by worship. I learned that Sue was not feeling well this morning and I was asked at the last minute to play the piano with the band. Fortunately, I knew all of the music quite well, and created my own piano arrangement of "Close to Thee" for the offertory. After church, Pete, Chuck and I practiced our violin trio. In a few weeks we will play, "Morning Has Broken". It was my first time to hear Chuck play. He's quite good. Chuck is our friend who grew up in Columbia where his father was a missionary surgeon.

My father died on February 13th. However, it was the 14th in Japan where I was living at the time. My Dad was the epitomy of showing God's love, and it was fitting that he should meet His God on Valentine's Day. Love is a gift from God. You can't force it, manufacture it, or fake it. When I was 16 years old I lived in San Diego. There was a Navy fellow (who my family remembers well) who decided that I was going to be his wife. My mother fell in love with him, and decided that was a wonderful idea. He was nice, talented, and had a blue Camero, but there just wasn't any chemistry. I remember feeling badly because I just couldn't love him. The point is, if I have ever told you that I love you, it's a big deal! I don't say those words easily. As I grow older, I realize just how wonderful it is to have family and friends that I truly love! I hope that you had a wonderful Valentine's Day, and know how much I love you, and just how much God loves you!

No comments: