Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday Funnies

I just finished hosing down both patios so that we can eat breakfast outside this weekend. Bill is busy mowing front and back lawns. (I think he likes the physical activity after being in a classroom all day.) While working outside, I was reflecting on my classes and it brought a smile to my face. One of my students asked me where he could buy gloves. He couldn't find any at Wal-Mart. When I asked him why he needed gloves, he told me that he was going to visit his cousin in Viriginia and it's cold there. I tried to teach him that America has seasons and it is no longer cold in Virginia. Another student had been taught by an American that girls are "cheesecake", so when I was teaching the contraction "she's" my student kept saying "cheese". Of course, I gave him an instant spelling and pronounciation lesson. There is never a dull moment in my classes! I learned that one of my new students has a university degree from his country in physics. His fiance is studying to be a medical doctor. He showed me an email from her on his cell phone, and the English was perfect! It was also very, very sweet!

On the not so funny side, Noel's doctor has released him from his job at American Insurance Co. for a month. Then, he will be re-evaluated. I'm so glad his doctor did that! Otherwise, Noel would just keep on trying to do his job in the legal department. It's a very stressful job which requires long hours. When Noel called this afternoon, he knew that I would be happy because I have been trying to convince him that the world will go on while he takes the time to recover!! There are so many people today who try to get away with doing as little as possible, and Noel doesn't want to be perceived as one of those people! (Noel, I know you are reading this.)

No comments: