Sunday, June 27, 2010

PowWow Weekend 2010

Sunday Afternoon

This has been an eventful weekend! Friday evening, there were 15 of us who went to Gliori's Italian Restaurant for dinner in Tecumseh. Ian and Phyllis loved hosting us! Those who went were Gramma, Galen and Sondra, Jason and wife, Shelly with 3 kids Jace, Kylee and baby Macyn. Noel and Janice were there with Mark. Cousin, George Godfry with wife, Pat, joined Bill and myself. (For a picture, see Galen's blog because I forgot my camera.) I had been preparing a birthday celebration for Mark at our house which followed the dinner. Mark loved the red,white and blue cake and the cards he got filled with money!

Saturday, Noel came over to our house in the afternoon by himself to just chat and relax. He wasn't feeling well. About 5:00 p.m. we followed him to Gramma's apartment to visit with George and Pat who had come from Springfield, Illinois to compete in the PoW Wow dance. (He won first place and $500.) George followed The Trail of Tears a few years ago and has done extensive background search on my Grandfather Bergeron's family. His book will be printed soon. Dr. George Godfry is also a retired entomology professor. He taught at University of Illinois. The picture I posted below this blog does not portray him well. He's a vivacious guy who is full of life and wit!! While visiting with George, my cousin, Susan Bergeron came with 3 of her children - Jennifer, Tricia, and Scotland. (Picture below) As I listened to the opening prayer in Potawatomi and English at the Pow Wow, I realized again that man has been searching for God and finding Him for thousands of years. Our American Indian forefathers have always worshipped the Creator and have many traditions connected with that worship. Spreading the incense with an Eagle feather is just one. Wanting to know God is in the heart of everyone!

This morning (Sunday) there were 13 in Bible Study. The theme was, "The Consequences of Poor Choices". Mom, George and Pat slipped in for the worship service. Bill and I played, "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" for the special music. Pastor Larry was out of the hospital and brought the morning message. (Today is his 62nd birthday.) That is a miracle! One would never know that he has suffered a stroke. His theme was, "A genuine Christian is one who has had a life change". As Larry often says, "I am just one begger telling another begger where to find bread!" It's impossible to go to New Beginnings church and not feel the presence of God!!! Several adult men and women came back to God today and tears of joy were flowing all over the auditorium. It brought tears to my own eyes as I thought of people in my life who I'm praying for daily. I've learned that our struggle is not with Satan, but with God. Satan leaves us alone when we are not in relationship with God. However, when we are out of fellowship with God, He continues to love us and struggles with our hearts to bring us back to Him. Recently, I heard a lady on TV say that it was "anti-intellectual" for Obama to say that we should pray. I know many really smart, smart people who believe in God and rely on Him for wisdom and strength. That's an important factor in why they are so intelligent! (Pics of the Pow Wow are below.)

No comments: