Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday Morning

I taught Bill's classes yesterday afternoon. It was a jump for me because he teaches APL to students who have graduated and want to pass the TOEFL. I enjoyed teaching advanced vocabulary and reading. When classes were finished, Sondra brought Galen over to the college to drive Bill's car home for me. He was still sleeping when we arrived, but was feeling much better after taking some steroids and sudafed. He would rather have his blood pressure go up than be dizzy.

Noel called about 4:45 p.m. and said Janice was driving through Tulsa. Galen, Sondra, Noel, Janice, Mark, Bill and I all met for dinner at the Cracker Barrel on I-40. We chose that place because Noel's family was staying at La Quinta just across the road. They always stay there when they come because Mark loves the pool and the buffet breakfast. My cousin, George and his wife, Pat were to come in last night and stay with Gramma. She's hosting lunch today and I'm not sure what we will do tonight. I know that Mark wants me to celebrate his birthday while they are here.

I have been practicing an arrangement of, "Come Thou Fount" for next Sunday. Bill chose it. It's quite challenging because it changes time signatures 4 times and changes keys 3 times. It has 9th chords and lots of 16th notes. When I was younger, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the words of the hymns. Now, I actually understand them!! As I was driving to school yesterday, I heard these words, "If you put your faith in people, things, or money, you will lose your faith. If you put your faith in God, you will never lose it!" My brother, David, has seen the difference in families who are true Christians, and families who are not. He asked Galen if he could share at his church this coming Sunday. Everything has fallen into place for David since he was released from prison. Within 4 weeks he received his social security with back pay. He passed his drivers test and got his California license, he had enough money to buy a VW Passat, he has learned to use a cell phone, and he has job opportunities to choose from! I could hear the tears in his voice when he was telling me about how God has forgiven him and is heaping His mercy on him. David is 66 years old and growing younger everyday. It's never too late!!

No comments: