Friday, October 9, 2009

Bobby Walker

My life is making a circle back to me. Thirty-five years ago my family lived on the campus of Golden Gate Seminary in San Francisco. During that time, we took in a 16 year old boy named Bobby Walker. There was trouble in Bobby's home and he didn't know where to turn. In spite of having two baby girls, we made room for him. Bobby smoked, wrecked his car and in short, was a troubled teen.

Last week, Bob's wife was dying and he turned to the internet to find us. Kirk drove to San Francisco with his Dad to meet Bob. When they arrived, his wife had just passed away at 50 years old. Kirk and his Dad officiated the funeral. It was next to a swimming pool in a recreation room. Kirk called when he returned home to pass on Bobby's message. He wanted me to know that my efforts were not in vain. He has seen the hand of God in his life and is telling his friends. Bobby wanted to apologize for the trouble he caused. Kirk laughed, and told Bobby that he had prepared us for hinself. Kirk told Bobby about his drug addiction and how God had delivered him. I had just told Kirk last week to "keep building the ark" when the world around you is so discouraging. I felt that God was speaking those same words to me when I heard that Bobby had given his life to Christ! Those challenging months suddenly became worth it, and I admit, I shed a few tears.

No comments: