Friday, October 16, 2009

Listen to My Heart

Yesterday, six young men strode into my classroom and sat down. While I was making checks in my rollbook, Fahhad said, "Teacher Marti, you are very gentle." It made my day because I felt that I had been too hard on him when he didn't do his homework. I thanked him, and then apologized for having been so stern with him the day before. I explained that I know how smart he is, and I want him to do well in my class. He looked across the room at me and said, "I know! You are like my mother. You care about me because you have a warm heart." That meant more to me than he will ever know. I began teaching Fahhad last year when he could not say anything more than "hello" in English. Sometimes my words may sound harsh, but not on purpose. I pray that my family and friends will listen to my heart. It hurts when you make speak out of love, and you are misunderstood or rejected.

No comments: