Monday, October 12, 2009

Weekend Activities

Saturday morning was cool but sunny. I trimmed the bushes under the shutters in the front of the house, and picked up broken branches in the backyard from the last storm. Bill worked on his online class until noon and then suggested we go to Abuelita's for lunch. From there, we went to Dillard's. They had a sale on Lancome cosmetics, and I love their mascara! Even if I don't look better, I feel better. Ha! After spending an hour at the mall, we drove to the Hornbeck to see, "Harry Potter". We were both very disappointed! The story was slow, and had no real ending. Nothing was resolved.

Sunday felt cold. I wore one of my pullover winter sweaters. Sixteen people sat around 3 round tables that had been pushed together in a clover shape. I always sit while teaching. The lesson was from Mark when Jesus became angry and told off the religious leaders. We were reminded that there is a problem when the messenger becomes more important than the message. Sun brought her roommate at OBU to our class. Lin is from China, and is the captain of the women's soccer team. She also sings, and wants to be in the Christmas choir.

I watched two interviews on TV this weekend. One was with Marvin Olesky, Provost of King's College in New York. He was once a card carrying Communist and atheist. He spoke of earning a Ph.D. from the University of Michigan, and learning the Russian language. A friend gave him a Russian New Testament and he felt challenged to read it because he had never read the Bible as a "book". He took the challenge and was changed.

The second interview was with Michael Moore. He's a very funny man! He made me die laughing! He admitted that in spite of the things he said in his documentary on "Capitalism", that capitalism has made him who he is. He owns two homes that are worth a million dollars each. One of them is in Michigan. He was laughing and said that it is very paradoxical. I felt like he was secretly saying that people will believe anything, and if he can make money off of them, so be it! I also noticed that he hasn't missed any meals lately. I think he has been sneaking some hamburgers and fries from his favorite fast food chain. I have a guy in my Bible Study class that reminds me of Michael Moore. He says things that are "off the wall" at times just to see what people will say and do. I smile because I know that he is just getting a conversaton going --he doesn't really believe what he says because his life tells me differently. A smart person knows that extremes are dangerous. We are all looking for balance. Democracy and Communism are only as beneficial as the leaders are mature and responsible. Both can be good or bad!

1 comment:

STEVEN said...

I enjoy reading your blogs.