Friday, October 23, 2009

Friday Morning

Yeah! It's Friday! It's casual day at school which means I put on my jeans, London sweatshirt and my Reeboks. Everyday is extremely interesting! Yesterday, I was teaching the meaning of the phrase, "to be in shock". When I asked my students if they had ever experienced something traumatic which left them in shock, one young man raised his hand. I asked him if he would like to share. He nodded, and then told the class about watching a beheading several times in Saudi Arabia. I asked if this was common, and if the public was required to be in attendance. Students nodded in the affirmative all around the room. Then, a student asked me if I was afraid to die. Of course, that opened the door for me to express my faith. I'm afraid of pain, but not death.

I also learned that Saudi boys get their first cars and learn to drive when they are 10 years old. When I asked if that was a bit dangerous, I was told that driving is very safe in their country because there are no women drivers. That made me laugh! I also learned that the three cars of choice in Saudi Arabia are 1. Toyota 2. Ford 3. GMC/Jeep

We had an international dinner at St. Gregory's yesterday. This weekend, the students will go to the Philbrook Museum in Tulsa. Our former director, Desiree, lives in Tulsa now while her husband is in medical school. She wants us to visit her.

Afterschool today, we are having the duct system in our house cleaned and sanitized. That should take care of the dust problem. I don't think the ducts have been cleaned since the house was built!!

No comments: